Micropressure therapy and the Meniett generator are based on many years of research both in the U.S. and Internationally. Short- and long-term results have been studied in Meniere’s disease patients, including randomized, double-blinded, placebo-controlled trials. Research concludes that Meniett therapy, for the majority of patients, is a simple and effective treatment for the vertigo symptoms of Meniere’s disease.
Randomized Controlled Trials
- Gurkov R, Filipe Mingas LB, Rader T, Louza J, Olzowy B, Krause E. Effect of transtympanic low-pressure therapy in patients with unilateral Meniere’s disease unresponsive to betahistine: A randomised, placebo-controlled, double-blinded, clinical trial. J Laryngol Otol 2012;126:356-362.
- Thomsen J, Sass K, Odkvist L, Arlinger S. Local overpressure treatment reduces vestibular symptoms in patients with Meniere’s disease: A clinical, randomized, multicenter, double-blind, placebo-controlled study. Otology and Neurotology 2005;26:68-73
- Gates GA, Green J, Tucci DL, Telian SA. The effects of transtympanic micropressure treatment in people with unilateral Meniere’s disease. Arch Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 2004;130:718-725
- Odkvist LM, Arlinger S, Billermark E, Densert B, Lindholm S, Wallqvist J. Effects of middle ear pressure changes on clinical symptoms in patients with Meniere’s disease – A clinical multicentre placebo-controlled study. Acta Oto-Laryngol Suppl 2000;99-101
- Densert B, Densert O, Arlinger S, Sass K, Odkvist L. Immediate effects of middle ear pressure changes on the electrocochleographic recordings in patients with Meniere’s disease: A clinical placebo-controlled study. AM J OTOL 1997;18:726- 733.
Other Clinical References
- Barbara M, Monini S, Chiappini I, Filipo R. Meniett therapy may avoid vestibular neurectomy in disabling Meniere’s disease. Acta Oto-Laryngol 2007;127:1136-1141.
- Barbara M, Lazzarino AI, Biagini M, Costa M, Monini S. Influence of Meniett treatment on hearing. Acta Oto-Laryngol 2010;130:1256-1259
- Densert B, Sass K. Control of symptoms in patients with Meniere’s disease using middle ear pressure applications: Two years follow-up. Acta Oto-Laryngol 2001;121:616-621
- Dornhoffer JL, King D. The effect of the Meniett device in patients with Meniere’s disease: Long-term results. Otology and Neurotology 2008;29:868-874
- Huang W, Liu F, Gao B, Zhou J. Clinical long-term effects of Meniett pulse generator for Meniere’s disease. Acta Oto-Laryngol 2009;129:819-825.
- Mattox DE, Reichert M. Meniett device for Meniere’s disease: Use and compliance at 3 to 5 years. Otology and Neurotology 2008;29:29-32.
- Rajan GP, Din S, Atlas MD. Long-term effects of the Meniett device in Meniere’s disease: The Western Australian experience. J Laryngol Otol 2005;119:391-395.
- Shojaku H, Watanabe Y, Mineta H et al. Long-term effects of the Meniett device in Japanese patients with Meniere’s disease and delayed endolymphatic hydrops reported by the Middle Ear Pressure Treatment Research Group of Japan. Acta Oto- Laryngol 2011;131:277-283.
- Gates GA, Verrall A, Green J, Tucci DL, Telian SA. Meniett clinical trial: Long-term follow-up. Arch Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 2006;132:1311-1316